Thursday, August 6, 2009

Personal Statement!

My brain feels so out of shape. The 3+months of summer vacation have definitely encased my mind in what feels like a large cotton blanket and now I am having trouble shaking it off and getting started on my personal statement for law school.

The problem is, I've never been great at "defining" myself. I've had a pretty normal home-life, I make good grades, I did well on my LSAT, I've done the expected summer internship in D.C., and I've got great letters of recommendation. But none of that stuff really makes me "special". On the surface I just look like every other starry-eyed undergraduate applying to law school.

Sometimes I think it would be great to talk about my faith. It definitely has impacted me in that I have chosen to go on service trips and volunteer projects that I wouldn't have decided to do unless I had been involved with the church. And the reason I want to become a lawyer is so that I can help defend the poor and the defenseless, not because I want to make tons of money. The only caveat to talking about my faith, though, is that it may distance me from the reader, especially if they have a hard time relating to Christianity or make the assumption that I am close-minded because of my religion.

Maybe if I stare at the computer screen long enough though an idea will come to me.....

No comments: