Friday, August 14, 2009

Careless Whisper

My brother shared this new cover done by Seether of the 1984 George Michael's song "Careless Whisper". At first I was a little disappointed - I've been waiting for a new Seether album to come out for awhile & this is the first single they release? Since then, though, it has definitely grown on me. Some of my favorite lines:

Time can never mend
The careless whispers of a good friend
To the heart and mind
Ignorance is kind
And there's no comfort in the truth
Pain is all you'll find

Tonight the music seems so loud
I wish that we could lose the crowd
Maybe it's better this way
We'd hurt each other with the things we want to say

I've always thought it was best to tell someone the truth, unless it would unnecessarily cause them pain. For example, I would never tell a girlfriend that she looked bad in a dress if she was dressed for a special occasion, because it would only make her more self-conscious. (Now, if I was going shopping with them before hand I would let them know the truth so they didn't make a bad purchase) But that's a very simple example.

I think people should tell the truth, but it is interesting how sometimes the things we want to say to the people we care about most are rather careless. There has been several times when I have had to restrain myself from telling people the things I think are true about them ("you are selfish", "you need to grow up and quit living off your parents", "you need to quit using others") but that I never say. What's the point. As the song suggests, "Ignorance is kind".

Opinions and Criticisms welcome. =]

1 comment:

Karl Jansen said...

Proverbs 27:6 (NIV)
"Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses."