Sunday, November 30, 2008

So What?

I have run into a brick wall for this research paper. I've got my conclusion : The discovery of the tubercule bacillus by Robert Koch in 1882 and the subsequent public health movement lead by Lawrence Flick changed social perceptions of tuberculosis. Instead of being a beautifying, romantic disease of the noble elites it became the disease of the working-class, immigrants, and blacks. This change can be seen in fictional literature published in the early 20th century.

While this works as a research topic, it still fails to answer the question, So what? Why do we care?

And the problem is, I really don't have an answer for that. It's the same question I've been struggling with since I got started on the paper. I think the problem with this could be that I didn't choose my topic.

There comes a point when you have to stop researching and start writing. But when do you know when to finally stop? I think, (1) when you can finally answer the question So What? or (2) when you realize your paper is due in a week and you have to meet the deadline.

I'm hoping I can get to (1) before I am forced to accept (2).

No comments: