Saturday, June 7, 2008

Reflections on D.C.

My PSIP coordinator sent everyone an email on how important it is to reflect on the experiences we are having during our internships in D.C, so this is my attempt at capturing two weeks of highs and lows.

I guess the first thing I need to talk about is my internship. I love the people in my office. They are all very helpful and fun people to be around. While I spend most of my time locked up in coalition meetings (where everything discussed is "off the record"), I am usually provided with breakfast or lunch. Considering I am living on limited funds right now, those free meals are amazing.

The one thing I don't like about me office is that I feel like I'm not really doing... anything. I mean besides attending the meetings, I typically just sit in my office and read newspapers (Roll Call, Politico, Washington Post, The Chronicle). Normally I wouldn't complain about having to do nothing, but the thing is I'm not getting paid. I am paying to be here in D.C. for a learning experience. And I feel like right now I am not learning anything. I'm not really sure how to ask them to give me more work.

So there is my reflection on my current job.

PSIP so far has been an interesting experience. I can say that I get along with everyone here but I feel like there are definitely some cliques already forming, between the people who work ON the Hill, and those who work for non-profits/think tanks/lobbying agencies. Everyone who works for congressmen seem to think they are the shit and no one else's job matters much. And for some reason unknown to me (and my roommate) there are girls on either side of our room that don't seem to like us very much. Haven't quite figured that one out.

I think the experience I am going to get the most out of isn't even going to be my internship. I think in some ways I am growing more in my relationship with God than I could have at LT. Here it is a struggle to stand up for what I believe in because I am not surrounded by my friends in Ann Arbor. I am constantly having to question why I believe something and how I am going to live out my faith or if I am going to be honest about what I believe. So while it's been difficult it's also been exciting to know that I WANT to do this because I think it's right, and not because I want to fit in with the crowd.

My friend Mike from New Life sent me a link to this church out here in DC (which is a lot like New Life). I went there last weekend and although it was kind of weird to go to church in a theater I really liked the service. I also joined a class on Theology and I am definitely excited to gain knowledge on the differences in Christian thought. I actually took this quiz, which theologian are you?, and the results were interesting. If you are reading this, take it and post what answer you got. I think it can tell a lot about what type of church you went to growing up (I got Martin Luther and Anselm).

So I guess, as a quick recap, I am still unsure of what I want to get out of this summer. Hopefully a good job review from my bosses, the chance to network with other interns, and to grow in my faith. Oh, and also to get a part-time job at Starbucks because I currently only have $40 to my name.

P.S. If you're reading this, I applaud you for making it through that entire stream of consciousness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow....that was a lot of work for my eyes haha.

summer is going ok, just kinda slow...arg.